When a loved one passes away, it can be challenging for those left behind. With this in mind, Apple does incorporate many options to delete Apple account when the user passes away. This article is about deactivating an Apple account when someone passes away. Apple offers many options to remove its accounts. But you can’t transfer someone’s data from an Apple account after the death. Let us delve deeper and understand how to deactivate or delete an Apple account when someone passes away.
How to Delete an Apple Account?
On the demise of a person, his digital legacy may have the presence of an Apple account. iPhone remove email account is one of the issues to be handled by the digital executor of the deceased. The digital executor will have to contact Apple customer support to delete the Apple account of the deceased person. The digital executor will have to have the following details along with the deceased person’s death certificate before contacting the customer support of Apple – Email, Account Id, and Password.
Upon receiving the deceased’s death certificate, customer support will start working on the process of deleting the Apple account. There is no automated process for closing an Apple ID. Therefore, you must contact Apple support. They will require a copy of the death certificate of the current account holder and review your request afterwards.
How to Delete an Apple Account (WITHOUT APPLE ID)?
Sometimes, you need to go to apple customer support or need to follow the below steps:
- Open the Apple ID Support page
- Click on the ‘Other Apple ID Topics’
- Click on the ‘Delete your Apple ID Account’
- Access accounts without password information need to contact support, so select ‘Call Apple Support Later.’
- Fill the all the details of a deceased user
How to Delete an Apple Account (WITH APPLE ID)?
Here are the steps to delete an Apple Account with an Apple ID:
- Open the Data and Privacy page
- Log in with your detail
- Click on the ‘Request to delete the account’
- Select your reason for deleting the account
- Then click on the ‘continue’ button
- Follow the resting steps and delete your apple account permanently
How to Permanently Delete a Deceased Person's Apple ID?
We all are aware that Apple IDs link to vital pieces of data like payment methods. Extracting data from the Apple account can be challenging if you don’t have the Apple ID in hand. So, when you permanently want to delete a deceased person’s Apple ID, you need to have permission to do so. Being the executor or digital executor of a Will or a Digital Estate allows you to do so.
So, what happens to an Apple account when someone dies? Well, the executor of the Will or the digital executor needs to contact customer support first. You will have to give the necessary details as requested by the customer support executive dealing with your request. The representative will give you the necessary details on how to close Apple account after death.
You will have to arrange the necessary documents and submit them to the customer support of Apple. After the customer support representative of Apple receives the required documents and the deceased’s certificate of death, they will start to process the deletion of the account i.e., remove Apple id.
What Does An Apple Offer in Digital Legacy Features?
Apple has recently announced a new feature for iCloud called Digital Legacy. This will allow us to set up an account that we can be given access to when we pass away. This is so the deceased’s family knows how to handle the accounts, and a close family member can access all the information regarding the accounts.
- Go to the App Settings and tap on your iCloud account at the top.
- From here, you are going to go into the Password section.
- Now, go down to where it says Legacy Contact.
- Here, the basic fundamental is choosing your iCloud account of relatives, family members, or friends. So, they will give an access key to use when they need it.
- Here you can add a legacy contact. You can add more than one if you want to.
- When you are ready, the press continues, and after a moment or two, it will add that contact to your digital legacy account.
But there is one more vital step. The access key is essential because, without this, the legacy account won’t be able to access your account when you are gone.
- Username and password
- Full name and email address
- Death certificate
Finally, if someone needs to use this to access your account, they can go to digital-legacy.apple.com. As long as you have a copy of the death certificate and the access key, they can request access to your account. The only thing they won’t get access to is any copyrighted material they have downloaded – for example, music, TV shows, or Films that you have paid for.
Deleting an Apple ID: Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I remove payment methods from my Apple account? If so, how? Yes, you can remove payment methods from your Apple accounts. You will have to access the app store on your phone or computer/laptop to be able to do so. Click on Manage Payments. You can make changes or remove the payment methods according to your choice.
- Can I remove the payment methods from my Apple account if I have an unpaid balance in it? No, you cannot remove the payment method from your apple account if you have an unpaid balance. You first have to resolve the issues and then delete the payment method.
- Is there an automated process to remove device from Apple id? No, there is no automated process to do so.
- What information do you need for deleting Apple ID of a deceased person? For deleting Apple ID of a deceased person, you need the following information – Apple ID, Email, Password, and Death certificate.
- Can Apple unlock a deceased person’s IPAD? If a court order exists, Apple will help to unlock a deceased person’s iPad. But if a passcode protects the deceased individual’s device, Apple will not be able to unlock it.
- What happens to an iPhone When the owner dies? When the owner dies, the iPhone that individual can be handed over to someone else in the family or kept aside as a piece of memory.
- From which devices can you opt for the Apple Deactivation Options? You can opt for the Apple Deactivation Options via your Apple phone or laptop.
- Can you delete user on Mac? Yes, you can quickly delete an Apple account on Mac.
As you have read, Apple has incorporated many options to delete Apple account Id or delete an iCloud account when the user passes away. The process isn’t as complicated as it may seem and can be completed within a few minutes. However, contact a professional today if you have experienced a loss in the family and need some help removing an Apple account.
We at Clocr offer feasible solutions for Digital Legacy Planning. Our ultra secure Digital Vault helps you to store all the essential data and documents like bank statements, account details, login credentials and much more. Nominate beneficiaries and stop worrying about your loved ones for the time you won’t be here. Sign up with Clocr today and explore Digital Legacy.