What Is Facebook?
Facebook is one of the most popular social networking sites where users can connect with other people all around the world.
So you know what Facebook is, but what does it mean to memorialize a Facebook account? And how to Memorialize a Facebook account? We will answer these questions in this article.
Memorialized Facebook Accounts are a place to remember someone after their passing away.
Are you thinking of preparing your Online Accounts for Digital Afterlife? Worried about what happens to your social media profiles when you are no longer around to handle them?
Over the past few years, social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram have introduced Legacy Policies to safeguard a deceased user’s account.
In this post, you will learn:
What Are The Features Of A Memorialized Facebook Account?
The Legacy Policy Feature allows a user to opt for ‘Memorialize Facebook Account.’
Facebook provides its users with an option to choose a Legacy Contact. A Legacy Contact is a person who takes control of social media website(s) after the account holder’s death. The account holder can give their Legacy Contact permission to either memorialize or permanently delete their Facebook account.
A memorialized Facebook account has the following features:
- The word ‘Remembering’ will be shown next to the name of the person on their profile.
- Friends of the deceased person can share memories (photos, video, and audio) on the memorialized timeline – dependent on the account holder’s privacy settings.
- Photos, videos, and other content shared by the account holder are visible to the audience it was shared with.
- No one can log in to a memorialized account, not even the legacy contact.
- Memorialized profiles do not appear in ‘People you may know’, ads, or birthday reminders.
- If the account holder was the sole admin of a Facebook page before their passing away, the page may be removed by Facebook on receiving a valid memorialization request.
How to Memorialize a Facebook Account?
The account holder has to appoint a Legacy Contact. This can be done as follows:
- Login to your Facebook account.
- Click on Settings and Privacy -> Settings -> Memorialization Settings
- In Choose a friend, type in the name of the friend you want to add as a Legacy Contact and click Add.
- Click Send to let your friend know you have chosen them as your Legacy Contact.
- Once the account holder passes away, the Legacy Contact can request Facebook to memorialize the account holder’s profile.
How does a Legacy Contact Manage a Memorialized Facebook Account?
A Legacy Contact is the one who looks after your Facebook account if it is memorialized.
Your Legacy Contact can:
- Pin a post to your profile, providing information about your memorial service or a final message on behalf of you.
- Can request the removal of your Facebook account.
- Update your profile picture, cover photo, and respond to friend requests.
- Can download a copy of your Facebook information if you have turned this feature on.
Your Legacy Contact cannot:
- Log in to your account or read your messages.
- Remove people from your friend list or make friend requests on your behalf.
Now that you know how to memorialize a Facebook account, you know that it helps to preserve their memories and their Digital Legacy. But doing so when you’re grieving the loss of a loved one is not something anyone would desire.
By making use of a Digital Estate Plan, you get to decide what happens to each of your Digital Assets following your death or incapacitation.
Sign up with Clocr today to get started with creating your own Digital Will.